Today the Ministry of Antiquities reopened to the public two important Old Kingdom tombs at the western cemetery, in the Pyramids Archaeological Area, Giza. The first tomb belongs to a person named "Emery" who holds the title "Priest of King Khufu", while the second one belongs to his eldest son "Neferebau Ptah". The two tombs were reopened after the termination of their restoration works performed by the Ministry of Antiquities' Projects Sector.
The two tombs are a typical example of individuals' tombs from the Old Kingdom and they reflect the nature of ritual life at that time clearly represented through their structural and artistic elements. The tombs had been closed since 2007 until restoration works started in 2010. The restoration project stopped after the January 2011 Revolution and was resumed 6 months ago.
The tomb of "Neferebau Ptah" was discovered in 1925, covers an area of approximately 144 m² and reaches a height of 4.6 m. It consists of five rooms and a crypt at the southern side. It also contains a life sized rock carved statue in the wall of its first hall. The "Emery" tomb is built with limestone and contains beautiful scenes depicting craftsmen (carpenters, sculptors and goldsmiths).